Assertiveness in relationships
ASSERTIVENESS IN RELATIONSHIPS
Assertiveness is the ability to stand up for yourself and your rights, while also respecting the rights and opinions of others. It is therefore crucial within a romantic relationship, both to maintain your sense of your own identity and for the relationship to thrive and be healthy. The greatest gift you can give to yourself is to be authentic.
- Talking openly and honestly about your feelings.
- Listening to your partner and making an effort to understand their point of view too.
- Being grateful when someone does something for you, however small.
- Admitting your mistakes and apologizing for them.
- Sharing responsibilities with your partner and treating them as equal.